First off I wanted to make note of Charity = Love It is not a romantic love or anything as the world think of the word love these days, It is an agape love, more like a generous and unselfish concern for others.
Now Thinking of vs 1
"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal."
This is talking of speaking in tongues. Back in chapter 12 Paul was telling them about "a more excellent way" to manifest Christ than by ones spiritual gifts(2 Corinthians 12:31) Then He started Chapter 13 talking about tongues probably because this gift was being misused in the Corinthian Churches.
vs 2&3
Both bring up the word nothing without true christian charity(love) I both am nothing and have nothing.
vs 4-7 Interesting fact that "charity" or agape love is defined by what it does not what it is.. that is something to think on a little more later on.
vs8 In this verse the word fail means vanish away and cease means simply comes to an end. According to this.. all of these supernatural gifts would be useless and would therefore be taken away by the Holy Spirit.
vs9 The gift of knowledge and prophecy at the time was only part of what God intended for his people to know.. However more was coming though the varies apostles and prophets.
vs10 This is where I think some people get confused.."That which is perfect" some think this means Christ 2nd coming but "that is a neuter pronoun not being masculine or feminine..Therefore can't be talking about Christ. Since the vs before this was talking about the incompleteness of the divine revelation "That which is perfect(completed)refers to the completion of the Bible.
Thought the completion of the Bible we now have everything we need to guide the church and all that we need to its power, so that supernatural gifts and miraculous signs are no longer needed
This is where I"m stopping for today.
Friday, March 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment